Saturday, April 09, 2016

The hits just keep on coming...

So I wrote off a 40-year friendship this past week.

That was fun.

But I guess I had to face reality. The friendship had been on life-support for a LONG time.

These things can't survive if they're just one-way, and this one had been one-way for years.

And the one time I needed this friend to come through for me, he just couldn't be bothered.

What I was asking for was just someone to sit down and talk things over with.

I don't think that's asking a lot, but as Lou once said to me, the only way you can actually be generous is when it involves your time.

I spoke with another friend about this and he just laughed... and in a way that said, "boy aren't you late to the party?"

I probably should be sad about this, but a major part of what I am going through right now involves no longer having the energy or emotional capacity to put up with long-term bullshit. And this was bullshit dating back to the mid-80's.

I seem to be losing friends left and right, but in one case it was because that person went off to prison, so I don't think that one counts.

I'm sure someone else might see this as that whole "getting rid of toxic people!" thing that women invariably go through in their 40's... but it's not that at all. I never pay toxic people any mind anyways.

I can't explain what it is. It's a little bit like a different person is slowly taking me over.

Whether that's good or bad, I can't say.

Stay tuned.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home